Sunday, April 13, 2008

When is your birthday?

First off, I should admit, I am one of those people who has the uncanny ability to remember birthdates. Names, too.

Recently, a friend who can't even remember her family members' birthdays, told me she thinks more people are like her than me.

Okay. Fair enough!

But when someone who's known you for over 20 years has to ask every year, "When is your birthday?", that gets tiresome.

It also speaks volumes.

If a close friend cannot remember one's birth date, perhaps it is not significant enough to recall. Or maybe a little self-examination is in order.

At any rate, I do not expect to be lavished with gifts or cards on my special day of the year but the least I do expect from someone who considers herself to be my friend, is to spare me the indignity of asking, year after year, the same old question.

So, how to deal with those who just don't get it?

Not. At. All.