Saturday, April 19, 2008

Type "A"?

One of my favorite books that I return to from time to time as a reminder of life's greatest riches is "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach.

It is a datebook of sorts written in 365 daily passages about how to live an authentic life being true to Your Self. One recurring theme in particular has stuck to me like glue:

"Make Peace With Imperfection."

It's also a philosophy I like to pass on to my adult-ed students who come to class to exercise their creative muscles. In one disclaimer, I say half-jokingly, "If you are type-A, you may have a hard time with mosaics."

Some laugh; others look mortified because they know: many a truth is said in jest. To those who strive to achieve perfection, I feel sorry, for perfection is a fool's goal.

One of the greatest compliments I received at the end of a workshop, came from a self-avowed type-A student who thanked me for helping her to "loosen up".

Ha! Little did I know when I was a kid that I'd grow up to be someone who teaches others how to "loosen up".

Cool, huh?