Sunday, April 27, 2008

Old School

I'm one of a rare few who don't own a cell phone. Why? By design. Do you know how liberating it is to be unavailable?

For those who really need to get a hold of me, there's a land line at home. Caller I.D.? Not me! An answering machine takes care of that!

Being 'unplugged' makes life a whole lot simpler!

Sure, there are times when having a cell phone would be convenient like when one is detained or running late for a meeting. Or when one gets separated from their party in a large crowd.

This is just what happened to me recently. Suddenly, I felt so disconnected! No one could ring me up to ask where I was. It was up to me to find them.

So, I asked around for the closest public phone. The looks I got were ones of utter speechlessness and confusion. One young woman looked like she'd never heard of such a thing!

But alas, I managed to find one. Fortunately, public phones do still exist.

At least for the time being!