Saturday, May 3, 2008

Driving While Flying

I am one of those types who gets attached to cars. I've only owned a handful in my life and of those vehicles, I'm most sentimental about my ol' 1987 Honda Accord LXi...that's still with me...165,000 miles and goin' strong.

Knock. On. Wood.

She's been a sweet, faithful mobile and for that I've kept her around. Now that she's over 20 years old, I won't be getting rid of her. Instead, I'm embellishing her exterior with shards.

Shards of what, you ask?

Mostly winged-things like butterflies and fairies because Old Faithful still flies. She is the mode of transport that brings me closest to that feeling without actually leaving terra firma. You see, I like to be grounded when I fly.

Once in a while on the open (dry!) road (to the beach) I find myself driving almost 80 miles an hour! Whoa! I don't even notice, until it appears other cars are standing still.

Not that I fly alone!

No matter the posted limit, others speed too though I know that doesn't make it right or legal. In my defense, at least I'm not talking on a cell phone, putting on make-up, eating a Big Mac or texting while driving.

When I'm flying in my car, I hold on tight with both hands...for dear life...because despite that fleeting feeling of flight while driving, I get it:

Speed kills!