Friday, June 6, 2008

Ode to Papa

Every year around this time, I get a little melancholy. Seeing all the ads for Father's Day reminds me that mine in gone. It's only been four years but it feels like forty.

Even though I hadn't lived near Dad for twenty-some years, despite the miles between us, we'd become so much closer over the last decade.

He would call me for no other reason that to say "hi" when in the past Dad wasn't much of a phone person. But after retirement, he was so full of life and joie de vivre! It was such a pleasure to know him as a friend instead of just my parent.

Much of who I am today I owe to him. Never one to mince words, Dad always told it like it is, even if somewhat brashly. I'm sure I got my in-your-face, no-bones-about-it writing style from him although mom was no shrinking violet either. heh-heh!

Both of my parents were ordinary people who accomplished extraordinary things in their lives, not the least of which was raising a hellion like me!