Monday, August 4, 2008

Music Therapy

Today is a sad anniversary. Four years ago my Papa, dear patriarch of our family, passed away...after, gratefully, only a short struggle.

Sad also because I missed seeing him alive by mere hours, although my siblings assure me I was fortunate not to be there. His audible suffering the night before and refusal of any more morphine, was a sure sign the end was near.

On the flight back to Michigan, I knew Dad was already gone. I needed the truth; it was my oldest brother who called to tell me, "Yes, dad just died..."

I flew with the heaviest heart, trying to hold back tears, glad to have my mate's shoulder to cry on.

It's only been four years, but it feels like forty!

Maybe all these mixed emotions are what compelled me to find and listen to Neil Young's "Old Man" today.

Oddly comforting but taking it wherever I can get it.