Sunday, March 30, 2008

Made in USA?

Well, well, well! Beat me with a stick and call me tenderized!

After reading an op-ed in today's paper about Wal-Mart's in-house health care and $4 prescriptions (which is helping a whole lot of low-income folks), I ended up feeling a bit warm and fuzzy about this company that I usually disdain.

Still, despite all the good things cited that Wal-Mart has done (contribution$, etc), I cannot wrap my arms around them.

Why?

Most products sold at Wal-Mart are made in China.

So, what's wrong with that? Besides being cheaply-produced with toxic materials-- often recalled--Wal-Mart is complicit in the dismantling of America's manufacturing industries.

They aren't solely responsible for the collapse of our system but they've contributed by selling imported junk, er I mean, goods for over forty years.

But maybe Wal-Mart is turning a corner, trying to polish their tarnished image by tapping into one of our national sore spots: a health care system that is broken.

So, they did something about it with no-appointment in-house clinics available seven days a week. For that, I applaud them, but...

I'm still not shopping at Wal-Mart.