Thursday, July 24, 2008

Every picture tells a story

Skin Art. That's what it is, after all.

No longer confined to the epidermis of the young and fitful or drunken sailors, tattoos grace the skin of every age and economic status nowadays.

People who etch their bodies with ink in the name of creativity and self-expression intrigue me. Like passing a car-wreck, I'm compelled to stare at those who decorate their bodies with more than clothing and accessories.

Some tattoos very clearly scream 'look at me!' like the freak, er, I mean, the guy with his whole face inked who struts his stuff in the crowds on Alberta during Last Thursday. He must WANT people to stare, right? So, I oblige!

I always wonder, "what kind of work do they--with loud, visible 'tatts'--do for a living?" 'Ink Face' is probably a tattoo artist advertising his craft, front and center, wherever he goes.

I understand many people get tattoos to mark, quite literally, a special date or to enshrine a moment in time. Most are discreet about body placement for only their intimates to see and enjoy while others...aren't so.

This much I know: the more bodies I see covered in ink, the happier I am to be "tatt-free".

Only marks on this epidermis are beauty--that's au natural, baby!