Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Trick or Treat?

Oh, Halloween! How do I love thee?

Not

at

all!

I've always considered adults who play dress up to be somewhat twisted. Or maybe they didn't get enough "make-believe" as children. Whatever the case may be, I also find that what a person chooses to dress up as is "very telling".

For example, when a woman is a witch I wonder, "Is she just living up to her true persona?"

As a French maid: Someone is trying, desperately, to be sexy and exotic. Why not just be that way in everyday life, sans the outfit?

Of course I understand parodies. This year I'm sure we'll see a lot of plumbers named Joe, Patio Men and Pigs wearing lipstick! Or, like the recent editorial cartoon depicted, a trick-or-treater dressed as an envelope being an "investment statement".

Now that's scary!