Friday, May 29, 2009

Who Cares?

Facebook, Schmacebook! Twitter, Schmitter!

I love my computer and the Internet as much as the next guy with one exception: personal network sites. In fact, I just don't get it! If that makes me sound old or hopelessly insignificant, so be it!

I can only surmise that those who maintain Facebook pages must have an unlimited amount of free time! Or perhaps they do so on someone else'$ clock! At any rate, who really cares--except maybe our loved ones--about our every move throughout the day?

Knowing how much time is frittered away checking and replying to email--let alone surfing the 'net--I can't imagine taking it to the next level. With unlimited knowledge and information, search engines can satisfy our every query. It isn't necessary to turn to strangers, er, I mean, "friends" to fill in the blanks.

Whosoever has a knack for turning words into prose can keep an online journal. But if I take time to read a blog, I hope to learn something new or come away with deeper insight...because Time, Sweet, Time is a luxury, a commodity, our most precious asset and a finite entity. So, I don't wish to 'twitter' mine away on mindless chatter.

I suppose if you're a wealthy celebrity like Ashton Kutcher, you have the luxury to waste time. Ultimately, I believe it's an ego trip for those who rack up the most online friends, wins. Can somebody tell me what?

Far as I can tell, they win the top spot for sucking the most time out the largest number of people.

No thanks!